Hi y’all! I am back with a blog post announcing our very first virtual cooking class! My original intention was to host the class on IG live this Sunday but I am going to move it to next Sunday, September 20, 2020 because I want to make sure everyone has time to review the recipe and purchase the ingredients, etc. I really would like this to be an interactive class and everyone actually cooks along with me! For this class we will be making my version of Cajun Chicken Pasta. This recipe is super easy but does require a little prep. I felt this was a great recipe for the class because we could learn how to make our own Cajun Spice (so easy!) and how to chop veggies and make a sauce! These are all skills you can carry over into other dishes you want to learn to make. I really truly hope that I see everyone online in class while we make an awesome Sunday dinner!!! The ingredients need are below. I will be explaining the directions we should follow in class and update this post with that information after the class is over. No worries if you miss it, it will be recorded and able to review on my IGTV barring their isn’t any technical issues.
We will be making our own Cajun spice. This is so simple and most of the ingredients you may already have on hand. If not you can purchase them at your local grocery or dollar store and what I loved most is the spices used are not expensive (I didn’t pay over $2 for any of them) and they are staples you can use to season other recipes.
Ingredients for Cajun Spice:
- Onion powder
- Garlic powder
- Salt ( I used table salt but sea salt or Kosher would be better)
- Black pepper
- Cayenne pepper
- Paprika ( I used plain but smoky would be great as well)
To make mix: Use 2 tbsp of Paprika, Salt and garlic powder and 1 tbsp of Onion Powder, Oregano, Thyme, Black Pepper, and Cayenne Pepper. Mix thoroughly and store in air right container (use and old seasoning jar) or a ziplock bag. This is enough mix for about 2 recipes. It is a tad on the spicy side so if you would like less heat use 1/2 tbsp of Cayenne.
It is not difficult at all to make your own spice mix AND you know exactly what’s in it and can tweak it to your family’s taste.
Ingredients for Cajun Chicken Pasta:
- 2-3 Chicken breasts cut into about 1 inch cubes (a trick is to not let your chicken fully thaw. Cutting while slightly frozen is easier)
- Peppers- I used a half of a yellow, red, orange, & green. I would suggest at least using 2 different peppers (1 being a green pepper, they are an important part of Cajun cooking) like red and green or orange and green. However the more color you use the better the presentation will be. Remember we eat with our eyes!
- 1/2 a medium Red Onion – I would strongly suggest a red onion because the flavor it imparts is outstanding
- 1 can of diced tomatoes ( this is my shortcut. I use the can that says garlic and basil already added for the additional flavor. You can also use fire roasted or cut up 2 fresh Roma tomatoes
- Cajun Spice Mix
- Penne pasta or your favorite pasta
- 1-2 cups of half and half or heavy whipping cream
- 2-3 cups of chicken broth
- 2-3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1-2 stick of butter
- 4-5 cloves of freshly minced garlic
This class will be detailed and we will be prepping and cooking everything together from start to finish so I would a lot about an hour and a half to join me live. I am soooo excited and I can’t wait to see y’all next Sunday! In the meantime look for more recipes and follow all my other shenanigans on IG @severapeoplesmama