Dress – Boohoo
So I recently turned 39 and even though I’m blessed to have made it to this age I realized that my life is actually just beginning. Let me explain. I had my first child at age 21 (no wild partying for me!). I never went away to college, I took classes at a local university and ultimately finished my degree at University of Phoenix at age 30. I didn’t really travel because after the first kid I married and 2, 3 and 4 followed quickly behind. I have worked at the same company for 14 years, with 11 of those in the same position. You get what I’m saying? I have never really experienced life outside of being a wife and mom. Now there is nothing wrong with those things, in fact I have always wanted to be a mom since I was a little girl and I enjoy my life BUT I recently began to think there are other things I want AND I can actually have them! So I started a list of 40 things I want to do before I turn 40. You may read them and think to yourself that’s easy or simple enough or Girl, you haven’t done that yet? Where you been at? But I honestly sat down and wrote down things I really want to do or have and I plan on checking these items off starting with this blog! I hope I encourage you to think about some of the things you want to accomplish and make your own checklist!
- Start a blog – DONE
- Learn to sew and actually complete a wearable garment.
- Become better with technology. I will need some classes for this one!
- Take a family cruise with extended family from BOTH sides.
- Start a new career.
- Lose 10-15 more pounds. (don’t we all? maybe not)
- Learn basic Spanish. (I live in TX and this would be to my advantage)
- Read at least 5 thought provoking life changing books. One down, four to go.
- Take some cooking classes or a cake decorating class to extend my repertoire.
- Learn to do box braids for my girls.
- Take a vacation with my husband alone (checking this off in September!)
- Write a book.
- Go to one of those painting with a twist parties (everyone has been to one except me)
- Implement a weekly self care routine.
- Give a single mom the night off.
- Go to a networking event by myself (Scary, very scary)
- Decorate every major holiday (so far this is a fail)
- Get a bike or rollerblades and actually use them.
- Purchase a new car.
- Repair my credit (it took a hit this past year due to some life changes)
- QUIT my current job. (there will definitely be a post on this!)
- Take my oldest daughter and son to a personal finance class or seminar.
- Restructure my student loans (remember I went to UOP)
- Take a new family picture.
- Complete the 52 week savings challenge.
- Begin and maintain an exercise routine.
- Go on one on one dates with each of my children.
- Spend more quality time with my extended family. (We are getting old!)
- Take a spinning class.
- Throw an event for women who love beauty and fashion and want to make friends like me!
- Consistently earn 2 additional incomes.
- Create a daily prayer routine. (I actually pray constantly but I would like some structure)
- Decorate my master bedroom.
- Upgrade my camera and blog once I learn more about technology.
- Go to school for cosmetology. My passion and purpose is to help other women look and feel beautiful.
- Write several posts on mental health awareness. I don’t think people take this as seriously as they should.
- Make new friends outside of my circle (work, church, family).
- Start a FB group for women over 30 about beauty and fashion. Sorry younger ladies, our needs are different once you reach a certain age.
- Open a business. (Look out for it).
- Go hard! I want to stop half-assing it, procrastinating and just get it done. Whatever it is. No excuses.
So what things do you want to do. All I can say is do it now. Don’t wait because over the last few weeks I have discovered time waits for no man or woman. Whether it’s good or bad just try because action will help you build momentum and you will eventually reach your destination wherever that may be.
16 thoughts on “40 Things before 40”
Aww thank you so much and I really appreciate you taking the time to read my blog post!
Congratulations on your blog! I love your list! I need to make a list as well. Mine will be different though, since I’m beyond the 40 yr. old mark, lol. You’re an inspiration!
Thank you so much for reading and commenting friend! I so appreciate it! And make that list and start checking things off, ain’t nothing to it but to do it girl!
What an awesome list! Congrats to you my friend on your blog, I knew it would be nothing short of amazing! Keep striving and continue to be great!
Thanks for your encouraging words sis and your blog has truly been a motivation to me. I will keep going and you keep inspiring!
Awesome Job Lady!!! Great motivation for me!!! Thank you so much this encouragement! You Rock!
Thank you very much!!! I appreciate your comment and it takes a woman who rocks to recognize another! Please do whatever you are moved to do because I know it will be as awesome as you are!!!
Great article Ricki. Congratulations on your new blog.
Thanks so much Pat! I appreciate you taking the time to read my blog!
So glad your blog is now LIVE! And I’m loving your first post. There are so many things on your list I should have on my own list, it’s so nice to see a blog geared to mature women. Thanks for sharing and looking forward to the next one!
You read my mind, I ‘ve been looking for blogs for my age group! That’s exactly what I wanted to see so I had to make it happen! Hopefully I can deliver lol! Thanks so much for reading!
I loved your first entry and look forward to see where your journey takes you! This is very inspiring as I am approaching 38! Love it
Thanks Maggy! I appreciate you reading and I am looking forward to the journey too!
Awesome cousin just love it! I believe in you and I know you as a woman, a strong woman you will accomplish all those 40 things!
Thank you so much cuz! I really appreciate you reading my post! I am gonna try hard to check everything off on that list!