At the suggestion of one of my InstaFramily sisters I decided to convert my Easy Cheesesteak Sliders into Egg Rolls and I also created a Cheese Sauce to dip the rolls into. This recipe was easy and filling and would be great appetizers or meal with fries added. Let’s get cooking by making our cheese sauce first!
Provolone Cheese Sauce:
- Provolone cheese (I used the cheese slices which I chopped up into squares)
- 1/4 cup of chopped onions and green bell peppers
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 tbsp of flour
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp of butter
Add butter and oil to saucepan until melted on medium heat. Add the onions and bell peppers and sauté until softened and add garlic. Sauté for 1-2 additional minutes. Add flour. You may need to add additional butter or oil before add ingredients the flour if your sauce pan is dry. Turn heat down to medium low. Cook flour for 2-3 minutes. You want to make sure you cook out the flour taste. Add half and half or heavy whipping cream slowly while whisking until all is incorporated and a sauce forms. Add cheese and whisk in slowly. It’s done! These cheese sauce is great for dipping the egg rolls in or make cheesesteak nachos!
Cheesesteak eggs rolls:
- 1 package of Beef Shaved Steak (the one I used was 14 oz and more than enough for 4 people)
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper sliced (feel free to use more if you like)
- 3 tablespoons of butter (you will use 1 to cook the veggies and the other 2 to melt over your rolls)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2-3 slices of Provolone cheese sliced into strips
- 1 cup of Italian style cheese mix
- To season my meat I used approximately 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of Seasoning salt (Tony’s), onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, & about 1-2 tsp of Steak sauce (use sparingly because it could get salty real quick!)
- Egg roll wrappers
- Oil filled pot for deep frying or you can use a deep fryer
In a medium sized sauce pan I added the olive oil and tablespoons of butter and let it melt on medium low. I turned it up to medium high and then added the onions and peppers and sautéed them for about 2-3 minutes then I put the heat on low and let them simmer. I turned the pan back up to medium high and added my beef directly to the pan along with my seasonings and steak sauce. After the beef was cooked thru I turned the heat off and let the mixture cool.
I put my pot of oil on medium high to prepare for frying. You can also bake these in the oven or use an air fryer. Once the mixture had cooled some I added about a tablespoon or so of the beef mixture to a egg roll wrapper and topped with a provolone cheese strip and folded according to instructions on back of package. Once grease was hot I added my egg rolls and fried for 1-2 minutes on each side. This step takes no time so do not step away from the kitchen! Once fried a golden brown I drained in a paper towel and added a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese (optional).
These were awesome and we enjoyed eating there them all up! If you try them please tag me on Instagram @severalpeoplesmama