If you don’t already know from looking at my past recipes WE LOVE SEAFOOD! We especially love the spicy savory seafood boils at different restaurants across Houston. But with a family of five eating at these places can get expensive so from researching different recipes I came up with my own version of a seafood boil. EXCEPT I don’t boil the seafood lol. I actually steam it in an oven bag you would use for turkeys in the oven. This seafood steams and the flavors get infused which tastes much better to us than boiling it and letting it sit and water where sometimes the flavor gets diluted. After many requests for the recipe I figured I better write this down and share on the blog so everyone would have one point of reference. So let’s make a seafood boil!
- 2 oven bags – I use the large size. We use two because we will double bag our seafood. You will also need a rectangular dish to lay the bag in.
- Assorted seafood – we use snow crabs and shrimp but you can use what’s our family prefers- if you use frozen make sure to thaw out prior to cooking
- 5-6 sticks of real butter (salted or unsalted)
- 5 cloves of minced fresh garlic (don’t use the jar!)
- 1 tsp of garlic salt
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1 tsp of Cajun seasoning
- 2-3 tbsp of spicy crab or crawfish boil seasoning plus extra for sprinkling on the seafood
- 2 tbsp of paprika
- 1 tsp of lemon pepper
- 1 tsp of dried minced onion
- Juice from 1/2 fresh lemon or you can use the juice in the bottle
- 1 tbsp or brown sugar (optional)
- 1 tbsp of dry ranch seasoning
- 1 tbsp of old bay
- Hot sauce or cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3-4 small red potatoes (you will want to cook these in the microwave ahead of time for about 3-5 minutes
- 3-4 small ears of corn
- 1 sausage chopped (optional)
Directions: preheat oven to 400 degrees. Make sure seafood is thawed out and rinsed. Place seafood, corn, potatoes and sausage in bag and then double bag it (similar to how you do your groceries at the store). Place bagged seafood in dish and sprinkle crab boil seasoning over seafood and set aside.
Place medium sized pot on medium low and add butter. Once butter has melted add minced garlic and stir. Add the seasonings, lemon juice and stir (with a whisk or fork). Mix in the brown sugar last if using. Let mixture come to a simmer for about 3-5 minutes. Turn off heat and let cool slightly (just a few minutes so it isn’t scorching hot and burn your bag). Pour a little of the mixture into a bowl for dipping later. Pour rest of the mixture in bag. Now I physically massage the seasoning into my seafood but you can just tie a knot in the bag and massage thru the bag. Place pan with bag in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes. Remove form oven and let sit for about 5 minutes. I cut open the bag and let the juices flow into the pan and sit there for a few minutes prior to serving. We serve this family style by bringing the pan directly to the table and picking the seafood out to eat.
We love to do this for our family but it would be great for parties too. I hope you make this and your family enjoys it as much as we do! And if you do try it make sure to tag me on Instagram @severalpeoplesmama
I’m always trying to mix it up in the kitchen because we get bored EASILY! So I always think of recipes we love them and remix them in some type of way, whether it’s switching out a vegetable or protein or using a different base. This time I decided to make Cajun Shrimp & Chicken with orzo instead of the usual penne or fettuccine. I also added spinach because sneaking in green veggies never hurts. And to make it even easier I made this a one pot dish!Let’s cook!
- 1-2 large chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1 pound of raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 2-3 tablespoons of butter
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil or your oil of choice just make sure it can handle high heat (ex: avocado oil)
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1-2 cloves of garlic minced
- Bell peppers of choice diced (I did a combination of half a red, green & orange pepper)
- 1-1/2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 3-4 cups of chicken broth or 2-3 chicken bouillon cubes with 3-4 cups of water
- 1/2 cup mushrooms sliced (optional)
- 1 bag of spinach
- 1 and 1/2 cups of orzo
- Cajun seasoning- I used Tony’s, a New Orleans seasoning from Dollar Tree, garlic and onion powder and black pepper
Season chicken and shrimp with spices (remember to go light, you can always add more spices later but it’s harder to take it away. In a heavy pot, add olive oil and butter on medium high heat. Add diced onions & peppers and sauté for 30-60 seconds. Add minced garlic and cubed chicken. Cook for 3-5 minutes or chicken is no longer pink. It may not be done but it will finish cooking throughout the meal. Add mushrooms if using and cook for 1 minute. Add orzo and let cook with mixture for 1-2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth. Let come to a boil stirring frequently for about 3 minutes. Turn heat to low, cover with lid for 10 minutes. Turn heat up to medium, stir in heavy whipping cream. Once incorporated stir in fresh spinach. Once spinach is mostly wilted stir in shrimp. Turn heat back to low and cover with lid for about 5 minutes or until pasta is al dente and shrimp is cooked.
I served this meal with the Artisan bread I made the day before. You can add a salad or steamed veggies (or not since we added spinach lol) and top with Parmesan cheese and a sprinkle of fresh basil.
As always I hope you try this recipe and if you do, tag me @severalpeoplesmama on Instagram because I love seeing your version of the recipe!
This is one of my quick go to meals because I know it is something my whole family loves. We love seafood especially shrimp and the pasta makes the dish filling. I also love this recipe because it doesn’t use a cream sauce which is sometimes to heavy for us particularly in the Spring and Summer seasons. Just a tip if you are making this mean use larger shrimp and use raw shrimp it helps tremendous with the flavor rather than the already cooked shrimp!
- 1-2 lbs of peeled and deveined large shrimp – can be frozen but make sure you thaw them out in cold water
- 2 sticks of butter (yes there is lots of butter)
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 4-5 cloves of minced garlic (can use the jarred but fresh does taste better as this is a light dish and every flavor counts)
- Seasonings – Italian seasoning, garlic salt, garlic powder, pepper, dried basil or fresh (fresh is better)
- 1 -2 lemons or ¼ cup of lemon juice
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 package of angel hair pasta
Prepare pasta according to package. I add oil and salt to water so pasta doesn’t stick. Also reserve about a cup of the pasta water after cooking. Season shrimp with seasonings except fresh basil if using. Melt olive oil and butter on medium heat in saucepan. Add fresh garlic to the pan and then shrimp a few seconds after. Toss shrimp in butter and garlic and add juice from one lemon. Continue to sauté shrimp until cooked. Taste sauce to see if more seasoning is needed. Add pasta and toss with shrimp. If more liquid is needed add pasta water slowly until satisfied. Top with fresh basil and grated parmesan cheese.
Pair this with a salad and a good garlic bread to soak up the sauce and you have a really delicious meal!
I hope you try this and if so make sure to tag me on Instagram @severalpeoplesmama. I will be back with some new recipes I’ve been trying soon!
It’s going UP ON A TUESDAY!!! Since we can celebrate as we normally do I decided to host a Cinco de Mayo VIRTUAL Fiesta and I’ve invited everyone I know to join and cook along with me on Tuesday at 7 pm CST on my Instagram live (@severalpeoplesmama) In order for everyone to be on the same page I have posted a menu and grocery list on my Instagram page and below. I’ve linked my White Queso recipe here and the rest is below. I am excited to see y’all tomorrow night!
Faux Margaritas- you can make these Margaritas according to your preference. If you like a sweeter margarita add more lime sherbet. If you like a tangier one, add less and more ice. This recipe is adapted from Scissors and Spatulas.
- 1 cup of ice
- 1 quart of lime sherbet- use less for a tangier version
- 1 can of frozen lime concentrate or frozen margarita mix. This can be found in the frozen juice section of your grocery store.
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1-2 cups of ice
- 2-4 shots of tequila (optional)
- 1 lime cut in slices for garnish
Add ingredients to a blender and blend! This makes a pitcher of margaritas to enjoy. Leave out the tequila for the kids and just add a shot to yours as a topper. See family friendly lol!
- 2- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 packet of ranch dressing mix
- 2 packet taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup of water
- Garlic and onion powder
Side note: Since we are making nachos I included larger quantities of the ingredients above so you can cook enough meat for the pizza and nachos. You will use half for the Mexican pizza
- 1 can (15 oz) refried beans
- 1 can (10 oz) enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup diced tomatoes or pico de Gallo
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 8 flour tortillas, taco size
- 1 Tbls vegetable oil or cooking spray
- Green onions, black olives, sour cream, salsa and guacamole for toppings
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large skillet brown ground beef, breaking up into small pieces. Once cooked, add taco seasoning, ranch seasoning, garlic and onion powder and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until most of the liquid is absorbed. Taste to see if you need salt. This ground beef mixture should be thick just like Taco Bell’s.
In a large skillet or griddle pour half of the oil or spray with oil spray generously into the pan. Heat over medium high heat. Add tortillas and cook for 4-5 minutes, flipping frequently, until crisp. Repeat with remaining tortillas and add more oil or spray if needed.
Spread about 1/4 cup of beans evenly over the bottom of each tortilla. Top with taco meat. Place another tortilla over the top of the meat. Spread about 2 Tbls of enchilada sauce evenly over the tortilla. Sprinkle the cheese in an even layer over the top. You can add green onions, tomatoes or pico and black olives now or you can add directly after the pizzas are out of the oven while cheese is still hot. Place each pizza on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted and everything is hot. Slice and serve. Feel free to add toppings of choice.
Hope to see y’all Tuesday night on IG love at 7 pm and if not you can still have a fiesta whenever at your home by trying these recipes.
This recipe right here!!! If you know us you know we absolutely LOVE seafood and almost any recipe that uses it is a winner in our book. This dinner did not disappoint! We used shrimp but you could add crab meat or crawfish or switch it out completely and use chicken. And the garlic bread is so easy to prep and make and tastes so much better than store bought. We truly enjoyed this meal and we hope you try it and enjoy it as well. Let’s cook!
Ingredients (For Shells)
- 1 box of jumbo shells
- 1/2 to 1 lb of shrimp (you can use precooked but I prefer raw so the shrimp are not overcooked)
- 4 tbsp of butter, divided
- 2-3 tbsp of olive oil
- 3 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 bag of fresh spinach (can use frozen just pre cook in microwave and make sure to squeeze out as much liquid as you can)
- 1 block of cream cheese (softened)
- 1-2 cups of shredded cheese, Italian mix
- 1-2 cups of shredded cheese, Mozzarella
- 1-2 cups of Parmesan cheese (you can use grated but I prefer the fresh for this recipe. You can find it in the refrigerated section of your grocery store)
- 2 cups of half and half or heavy whipping cream or combo of both
- 1/2 cup of white wine (optional or you can use chicken broth or water and a bouillon cube)
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms (optional)
- Seasonings: I used garlic salt & powder, onion powder, ranch dressing mix, Cajun seasoning and Italian seasoning
Cook shells was directed. I add oil and salt to my water. Drain and set aside to cool. Reserve a cup of pasta water. Spray with cooking spray so your shells won’t stick together. Melt 1-2 tbsp of butter with the olive oil in a skillet on medium. Add onions and 2 tbsp of garlic and sauté. Add mushrooms if using. Cook til soft. Add spinach and sauté til wilted. Finally add shrimp. I did preseason my shrimp with garlic powder and Cajun seasoning. Cook shrimp til almost thru. Do not overcook. Drain shrimp and veggie mixture and add to a bowl with softened cream cheese. Keep the liquid and place back in the pan after draining as this is the base for our sauce. Combine shrimp mixture with cream cheese and add Italian mix cheese and Parmesan cheese if using. Lightly season mixture with garlic powder, ranch dressing mix and onion powder.
Now let’s make the sauce. With liquid in pan turn on high heat. Add white wine and let alcohol cook off which should be 3-5 minutes. Turn heat to medium high and add another tablespoon butter and the remaining tbsp of minced garlic. Stir til melted. Whisk in half and half or heavy whipping cream. Once it starts simmering add Parmesan cheese by whisking in slowly and add seasonings. Turn heat to medium low and let simmer for about 3-5 minutes. Don’t walk away because you don’t want to burn your sauce. Make sure to taste sauce to see if you need additional seasoning. Turn off and cover. While sauce is sitting it will thicken. If you need to thin it out add pasta water while on low heat. Add 1/4 cup of sauce to bottom of 9×13 baking dish. Go ahead and stuff your shells with the shrimp mixture and add to dish. Once dish is full cover the shells with sauce. Spread layer of Italian cheese mix and Mozzarella on top. I also sprinkled Parmesan cheese and a shake of Italian seasoning. Bake on 350 for about 20-25 minutes until cheese is melted thru. I also placed my dish under the broiler for 2-3 minutes because I love those brown bits of cheese. Enjoy with Easy Garlic Bread and a side salad.
Easy Garlic Bread
- 1 stick of softened butter (not melted) just let it sit out on the counter that morning
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1 tsp of garlic salt
- 1 tsp of Italian seasoning
- Fresh basil (optional)
- 1 squeeze of fresh lemon (optional)
- 1 loaf of French or Italian bread cut in half lengthwise
- Italian cheese (optional)
Turn on broiler. Mix butter and seasonings & lemon juice together. Spread on bread. I add cheese to one half of the loaf and leave the other half with just the butter. Put under broiler for 2-3 minutes. Watch closely and don’t walk away or you will burn the bread (ask me how I know lol). Serve with your favorite pasta dish.
I can’t tell y’all again how delicious this meal was! We will be adding this to our dinner rotation. I added video from when I made this in my highlights on my IG page so go there if you need a little help and I am always available in the DMs! Also tag me if you make this!
At the suggestion of one of my InstaFramily sisters I decided to convert my Easy Cheesesteak Sliders into Egg Rolls and I also created a Cheese Sauce to dip the rolls into. This recipe was easy and filling and would be great appetizers or meal with fries added. Let’s get cooking by making our cheese sauce first!
Provolone Cheese Sauce:
- Provolone cheese (I used the cheese slices which I chopped up into squares)
- 1/4 cup of chopped onions and green bell peppers
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy whipping cream
- 1-2 tbsp of flour
- 1tbsp of olive oil
- 1-2 tbsp of butter
Add butter and oil to saucepan until melted on medium heat. Add the onions and bell peppers and sauté until softened and add garlic. Sauté for 1-2 additional minutes. Add flour. You may need to add additional butter or oil before add ingredients the flour if your sauce pan is dry. Turn heat down to medium low. Cook flour for 2-3 minutes. You want to make sure you cook out the flour taste. Add half and half or heavy whipping cream slowly while whisking until all is incorporated and a sauce forms. Add cheese and whisk in slowly. It’s done! These cheese sauce is great for dipping the egg rolls in or make cheesesteak nachos!
Cheesesteak eggs rolls:
- 1 package of Beef Shaved Steak (the one I used was 14 oz and more than enough for 4 people)
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper sliced (feel free to use more if you like)
- 3 tablespoons of butter (you will use 1 to cook the veggies and the other 2 to melt over your rolls)
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2-3 slices of Provolone cheese sliced into strips
- 1 cup of Italian style cheese mix
- To season my meat I used approximately 1/2 tsp to 1 tsp of Seasoning salt (Tony’s), onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, & about 1-2 tsp of Steak sauce (use sparingly because it could get salty real quick!)
- Egg roll wrappers
- Oil filled pot for deep frying or you can use a deep fryer
In a medium sized sauce pan I added the olive oil and tablespoons of butter and let it melt on medium low. I turned it up to medium high and then added the onions and peppers and sautéed them for about 2-3 minutes then I put the heat on low and let them simmer. I turned the pan back up to medium high and added my beef directly to the pan along with my seasonings and steak sauce. After the beef was cooked thru I turned the heat off and let the mixture cool.
I put my pot of oil on medium high to prepare for frying. You can also bake these in the oven or use an air fryer. Once the mixture had cooled some I added about a tablespoon or so of the beef mixture to a egg roll wrapper and topped with a provolone cheese strip and folded according to instructions on back of package. Once grease was hot I added my egg rolls and fried for 1-2 minutes on each side. This step takes no time so do not step away from the kitchen! Once fried a golden brown I drained in a paper towel and added a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese (optional).
These were awesome and we enjoyed eating there them all up! If you try them please tag me on Instagram @severalpeoplesmama
Hi y’all! I am sharing my recipe for Spaghetti Mac which is an easy alternative to plain old spaghetti and something ALL my kids enjoy. This recipe will give you an easy meal that can stretch your budget! I have also included my cook with me video so visit my YouTube channel to see how I made it!
1-2 lbs of ground beef or turkey. You do not need a lot of
meat for this dish so this is a great way to stretch your
1 jar of prepared spaghetti sauce or marinara (use more if that’s your preference)
½ cup of onions ( I used frozen)
Seasonings – Tony’s creole seasoning, garlic and herb or
Italian seasoning, garlic powder and onion powder and
ranch dressing mix but you can use whatever you like!
1 package of elbow macaroni·
8 ounces of processed cheese product (Velveeta) cut into
1-2 cups of shredded cheese. I used Colby Jack but
Mozzarella or any other cheese would be good as well.
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil pasta in a pot of water per directions. I add oil and salt to my pasta so it won’t stick but that is optional. Brown ground meat in a pan with onions. Drain fat and then add seasonings and sauce. Simmer on low. Drain cooked pasta and add to casserole dish or 9×13 pan (spray pan first to prevent sticking). Add half of cubed of cheese and stir throughout the pasta. Add sauce and stir to combine. Add shredded cheese on top and rest of cubed cheese. Place in oven for 15-20 minutes in order for cheese to melt. Once finished baking, let sit for 10-15 minutes so the casserole can set. Serve with a salad or fav green vegetable!
Check out my YouTube video here:
Listen!!! I was brunchin’ Sunday- Quarantine style! I don’t even like sausage but this casserole was so delicious and sooo filling!!! You could have this for breakfast, lunch or dinner. And you can use any combination of veggies as well. Let’s get cooking, shall we?
- 1 pound of breakfast sausage ( I also added some leftovers Italian sausage I had in my freezer)
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms chopped
- 1 bag of frozen tater tots (no need to thaw)
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup of half and half
- 1/2 bag real bacon bits or cooked bacon (optional)
- Seasonings of choice – I used onion and garlic powder, seasoned salt, ranch and Italian and roasted garlic seasonings
- 1-2 cups of shredded cheese of choice
Directions: Spray 9X13 pan with cooking spray and layer the tater tots on the bottom. In a separate pan brown sausage, add onions, garlic, mushrooms. If you have peppers or spinach this would be good to add as well. Drain fat and add meat mixture on top of tater tots. I also added some leftover bacon bits but this is optional. Mix eggs with half and half and seasonings. Pour over tater tots and meat mixture. Let eggs soak into tater tots and meat mixture for at least 30 minutes. Don’t skip this step. You can actually make this the night before and bake in the morning. Top with cheese and back on 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Let set for 15 minutes, cut into squares and serve.
I topped mine with salsa. Sour cream and avocados would work as well or plain ole ketchup!
If you try this recipe as always tag me on Instagram @severalpeoplesmama. You can also see how I made this in my highlights.
Also check out my Grocery Store Vlog and Haul in my YouTube channel!!!
Hope you enjoy!
Sorry this recipe is sooo late but it is definitely worth sharing! This is an old school casserole with leftover chicken added in to make it a complete meal. Enjoy!
- 3 to 4 cups of freshly cooked rice (you want it warm to melt the cheese)
- 1 cup or more if desired chopped and cooked chicken (make sure your chicken is seasoned because we won’t be adding any additional)
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked or steamed until tender broccoli. Can be frozen or fresh and you can chop or leave whole.
- 1/2 a block of Processed cheese (Velveeta) chopped into cubes
- 1 can of each soup – cream of mushroom, cream of chicken and cream of celery (DONT leave out the cream of celery, it doesn’t overpower and it makes the dish!)
- 1 cup of shredded cheese of choice
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine all 3 soups in a bowl and mix thoroughly. Combine rice and broccoli and chicken in a separate bowl. Add soup mixture. Add processed cheese and mix well. Spread in a greased casserole dish and top with cheese. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven and let casserole sit for 15-20 so it can set. Serve. You have proteins, carbs and veggies already in it so add a bread if desire and dinner is done! This makes great leftovers so make a big batch and eat for lunch as well!
I hope you try this! If so tag me on IG @severalpeoplesmama