Sunday in addition to the breakfast casserole I decided to make homemade granola. My oldest daughter who is almost 21 and lives near her University, was mad upset!!! She was like you haven’t made granola in years and now you decide too??? Sorry blame it on the pandemic and the fact that I’m home all day! You guys who watched me make it on Instagram asked for the recipe so I wrote it out below. And also so I could send this to my daughter and she can make it herself lol
- 3-4 cups Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 to 1 cup of brown sugar depending on how sweet you want it
- 1 cup coconut oil (if you don’t like coconut oil you can use canola or vegetable but I would only used 3/4 cup because it tends to be thicker)
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of honey
- 1 tbs of vanilla extract
- Optional: 2-3 Tbs of syrup
- Add ins: Nuts, dried fruits ( I would add nuts directly to the granola prior to baking because the toasting brings out lots of flavor)
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Melt coconut oil in the microwave until warm and liquid about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Mix in honey and vanilla extract and syrup if you’re using it. In a large bowl mix oats and brown sugar and salt. Mix in liquid until it coats the oats. Add in your nuts and dried fruits, I used pecans and dried cranberries. Spread mixture in an even layer on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 20-25 minutes stirring every 5 minutes so it won’t burn. Once you take it out the oven let it set for about 5 minutes to harden.
You can eat this granola on its on as a snack, as cereal or on top of yogurt and fruit as a parfait. I also add more dried fruit, nuts, candy, etc to make a trail mix! Customize it for your taste!!!
This is a great alternative for snacking vs chips and junk food. If you make this make sure to tag me on IG @severalpeoplesmama